Wiki Hospital TELEHEALTH

patti66

Contributor
Best answers
good morning!
what codes would you use for hospital internal medicine taking care of COVID+ patients when providers can use telehealth

Would it be G0425-G0427?

Our office doesn't usually use HCPCS codes so wanted to make sure this was appropriate

What services are being provided? G0425-G0427 are for consultations, so these would be appropriate if the patient's attending physician had requested an internal medicine consultation from you providers, for example, if a psychiatric or surgical patient had a problem during their stay and their physician requested it be managed by an internal medicine provider, you could bill one of these codes for the initial consultation and then G0406-G0408 for any follow-up consultations.

Thank you, that makes sense!
what would you use for regular rounding/admissions IF they were to use telehealth?

Although I think consults is the only instance we'd be using this for, but just in case-- would we just use regular rounding codes with GT modifier?

Admission/initial inpatient E/M services are not normally allowed by telehealth per CMS, but they have made an exception for this under the current health emergency rulings. I'm not sure what you mean by 'regular rounding', but if you're speaking of subsequent inpatient visits, those can be billed via telehealth with the usual 99231-99233 codes (limited to once per 3 days, but this restriction is also currently waived). Here's a link to the Medicare publication on telehealth. A list of all covered telehealth services begins on page 7:

Also the list of waivers made just for the period of the public health emergency:

Last edited:
Has anyone seen information regarding the use of time for code selection for inpatient codes (99221-99233) rather than H/E/MDM? I swear I read that but now cannot find it
thanks!