Wiki hospitalist coding

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
ok, here's the deal - I'm about to apply for a "supplemental" (extra) coding position - however, part of the job will be to provide "hospitalist" coding. I have absolutely ZERO knowledge on hospitalist coding... :confused: what exactly is it? is it just the professional side of inpatient coding? are there separte rules/guidelines to follow?...
Can anyone explain the "difference" between hospitalist coding and regular inpatient coding or have a wonderful website with info (I've searched all morning without any luck for a informational website). Hospitalist coding was something "new" we were just starting at my old facility when I took this position so I never got the opportunity to learn more about it, and at this facility there wasn't a need to learn more about it...

any direction, advice, info on this would be GREATLY appreciated!
THANKS TONS!!!

Donna - I'm not sure, but I think hospitalist coding is simply physician coding for the doctor who rounds on hospialt patients only. I think you'd be looking at admits, consults, subsequent hospital visits, and discharge codes.
Lisa

thanks Lisa! I didn't think it was anything "too" different - but I just wasn't sure. Well, now I will apply for sure! :) I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

thanks again!

Lisa's right

Donna,
Lisa's 100% correct. I did hospitalist coding for just a brief period of time. But it was entirely inpatient E/M services.

Bone up on prolonged service codes just in case. (If you're not starting until after Jan 1 2009, then no need to bother with Mod 21, but if you have dates of service in 2008 you might still use Mod 21).

You can PM me if you need more info ... or email me directly.

P.S. How's the weather up there? I drove to dinner in another city Saturday night at the beginning of a "light" snow fall that turned into near white-out conditions by the time we were coming back. I was lucky to do 30mph on the freeway. Then we went into the deep freeze with a high yesterday of -5F.
Oh, the weather outside is frightful ...

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

Tessa - thanks for your response! I'm sure I can learn the coding needed for hospitalist - I just didn't want to apply, get an interview and be in the dark when they asked me about it! If I get interview, ...you can bet I'll be asking more precise questions on this before hand! .

Ohhhhh the weather! LOL.. my husband keeps saying we're moving to Key West! .. he hates the winter. I think he plowed and snow-blowed 3 times this weekend (and not just us, but the neighbors and my parents)! Roads were terrible, very icey (though they were plowed). I think our low was -13 without the wind chill. We stayed indoors as much as possible, didn't travel anywhere.

yeah, not fit for man nor beast out there! ;)

thanks again for the info :)