Wiki Hospitalist service - H&P during Labor and delivery

neelaprakash

Networker
Best answers
Need Help.
I am new to Ob/Gyn coding.

Can we bill for H&P done by Hospitalists for patients admitted for delivery. The baby is delivered by patient's attending physician. The Hospitalist is under a different Tax ID .
Is the H&P during L&D Global to delivery (even though the services are rendered by a Hospitalist who does not belong to patient's Ob physician)

Thank you.

Morning!

In my personal experience billing for general medicine hospitalists, I have never seen one admit an OB patient for OB delivery. Only the OB provider was responsible for that. The facilities that I previously worked for never allowed a general med hospitalist to admit OB patients due to liability issues. However, each facility dictates their own individual policies.

If a general medicine hospitalist admits an OB patient, it is generally for non-OB related issues (ie..hypertension, cold, asthma, back pain, diabetes, etc.). The coder/biller responsible for the hospitalist charges can bill the initial admit code but this would not be included in the L&D global.

It would be good to check with your office/facility guidelines for clarity. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

The Hospitalists are OB/Gyn providers employed by the hospital. OB Hospitalists do the H&P and inform patient Doctor, who then delivers the baby.

Not sure if the H&P done by the OB hospitalists can be billed under the hospital Tax ID or will it be bundled with the delivery charge.