Wiki How did you get hired as a CPC-A and how long did it take you?

I’ve been a CPC for 13 years, and as with any industry, getting your foot in the door is a struggle. I was lucky enough to intern alongside an experienced coder while I was an HIM clerk at an inpatient hospital., but it took a long time, and lots of persistence, to find that clerical position. Back then, we didn’t have Practicode to provide assistance in removing the “A”.

The best advice I can give you is to apply for any HIM department position, or even any hospital or Dr’s office clerical position. The chances you’re going to be able to code immediately are slim, but if you establish a good work ethic and are flexible, hopefully when a coding position becomes available, the place will give you the opportunity.

Job searching is one of our biggest professional challenges, and whether looking for your very first job, or forging a new career path, the basic principles apply. Be courteous, respectful, and persistent. Don’t expect the chips to fall into place quickly, and don’t get discouraged. It’s extremely difficult to be patient, but when the right fit comes along you’ll know it, and it will have been worth the effort. Best of luck to you!

Last edited: