Wiki how do code a shave biopsy??

mrolf

Best answers
Our physician did a shave biopsy of a 1 x 2 cm scalp lesion and then cauterized the lesion and sent for pathology.
Can't find a CPT code that includes both the shave biopsy & cauterization. Code 11100 states shave biopsy but with a simple closure not cauterization. Please advise. Thanks.

11100 is for like a punch biopsy. A shave biopsy uses 113xx codes. Please see the following to directly answer your question. The physician removes a single, elevated epidermal or dermal lesion from the scalp, neck, hands, feet, or genitalia by shave excision. Local anesthesia is injected beneath the lesion. A scalpel blade is placed against the skin adjacent to the lesion and the physician uses a horizontal slicing motion to excise the lesion from its base. The wound does not require suturing and bleeding is controlled by chemical or electrical cauterization. Report 11305 for a lesion diameter 0.5 cm or less; 11306 for 0.6 cm to 1 cm; 11307 for 1.1 cm to 2 cm; and 11308 for lesions greater than 2 cm.

Shave biopsy

The physician is not doing a shave EXCISION. He is just taking a portion for biopsy by shaving off a portion of the lesion. Are we still correct in using the shave excision then.
Please advise. Thanks.

was this ever resolved? i understand that a biopsy is taking part of the lesion no matter how it is removed. When removing the complete lesion then it is coded as a removal - correct?

Punch biopsy and shaving of the lesion are performed.

Punch biopsy and shaving of the lesion are performed. How is this CPT Coded. What should I look for in the Index. Thank you.

Check out August's issue of Healthcare Business Monthly. On page 18 is a description of how to bill a "shave biopsy". Actually, there's no such thing. You either shave, or you biopsy.

Check out August's issue of Healthcare Business Monthly. On page 18 is a description of how to bill a "shave biopsy". Actually, there's no such thing. You either shave, or you biopsy.

Thanks, Pam. I remember reading this, but couldn't remember where.