Wiki How do CPT category II codes work? In desperate need of help!

l1ttle_0ne

Guru
Best answers
I have a doctor who would like to start reporting 0521F on his surgical consults. Since he goes over post operative pain, and everything included with that. I've never used any of the category II codes, and I'm very confused. There is very little information out there that is helpful. My main confusion is can this code be used for that purpose? It has COA and ONC next to it, so is it specific to oncology and older adult care only? The lay description on Super Coder says as below, and makes it sound like it's only for oncology patients. I can't find anything anywhere else to back that up. I've been searching for hours, and nothing. Any help would be SOOO appreciated. :confused: :(

0521F - Plan of care to address pain documented (COA) (ONC)

Lay Term
The provider documents a plan of care to manage pain in a patient with cancer who receives chemotherapy or radiotherapy during the measurement period.

Thanks, I've read this page before. Are these the only codes General surgeons can use? I don't see that code on there. May main question is when those codes have the (ONC) (COA) by the code. Does that meant his code is only usable for those specific specialty's? I can't seem to find that answer anywhere. Can anyone else help??