Wiki How do I get back in to the coding/billing game after a small break? Help!

smontague

Networker
Best answers
I posted this to my local forum, but also wanted to put it out to the entire AAPC community. I've been out of the coding/billing game for just over a year and I'm having some trouble getting back in despite many years of experience. Here's my original post:

So, for a little background information I was in the medical field for 15 years, the last 9 of which I spent as a coder/biller in a professional medical office (it was a combo of IM, FP and BH). I really loved the work but was getting a little burnt out, mostly my own fault because I have this issue where I like to do everything myself and have a difficult time asking for help, plus I'm a little bit of a perfectionist. Anyway, as the burn out was hitting it's peak the office was also going through some major changes and I had a major life event that hit me pretty hard. So, I walked away from it all and went into child care of all things! I have been kicking myself since.

I still renewed my certifications because I had worked so hard for both my CPC and CPB I didn't want to let them go, but I've been out of the medical game for just over a year now and I can't seem to get back in. I've applied to multiple positions at multiple local offices/hospitals and have had no luck. I know I've been out for a year, but I have 15 years of experience behind me. I even had 2 interviews but never got a call back from either...even though I have a glowing review from my previous boss who says in the letter that he would hire me back if he had a position available.

So, I guess my question is this. How do I stand out as an experienced coder to get the job? Obviously what I'm putting on my resume or what I'm sharing during the interviews isn't working. Also, is there a refresher course that anyone would recommend? I have my issues of Healthcare Business monthly and I have the webinar subscription, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I should be doing to keep my skills up for when I do get a new job. Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Are there any local Chapter Events you could attend? Or possibly proctor an exam? I absolutely have a passion for coding but found that my previous employer was just not for me. I think I may be in the same boat as you are because I accepted a position with a SNF & really there isn't as much billing & coding as I would have liked. I've been reaching out to some former co-workers & contacts & I am finding that really, truly, this seems to be the best way to "stay in the game" or maybe "get back into the game". Good Luck! I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us!

I've also been adding any new / current webinars or anything I get CEU's from to my skills & achievements portion of my resume to try to bring home the fact that I'm well versed in all the new happenings.

I'm having the same issue trying to get part-time risk adjustment coding work. I keep getting the reply that I the client wants someone who's HCC coding work was within the last year. I have 5 years in HCC coding alone and the certification. I'm a little frustrated by this because I'm maintaining my credentials and thought cost money.... I need to work. I have the experience, I don't understand what the difference or the problem is.

When you work in Risk Adjustment/HCC, you know that the tables and models change at least every year. In that opus, I can kinda understand they response, however that is also pretty short-sighted. Getting up-to-speed on the models shouldn't take very long, especially since they really function as a reference tool above anything else. It could be that they were using that "excuse" to justify their rejection?

I would keep at it, and perhaps even expand my range of applications. When I get too many rejections, I revisit my methods in terms of resumes and how I did in interviews, and try to fine tune them.

Is remote work an option for you?

Best of luck!

When you work in Risk Adjustment/HCC, you know that the tables and models change at least every year. In that opus, I can kinda understand they response, however that is also pretty short-sighted. Getting up-to-speed on the models shouldn't take very long, especially since they really function as a reference tool above anything else. It could be that they were using that "excuse" to justify their rejection?

I would keep at it, and perhaps even expand my range of applications. When I get too many rejections, I revisit my methods in terms of resumes and how I did in interviews, and try to fine tune them.

Is remote work an option for you?

Best of luck!
Thank you, yes that is what I've been searching for.