Wiki How do you bill for drug screens sent to outstide lab?

Hi Copper:)
We do many drugs screens for patient with sub abuse dx F10-F19 or PTSD F43 or Depression F32 or Mood DO F06 problems. However the provider must put down reason give blood or urine test or link to the day s dx. assessment. We always try & use a dx definitive code first then a Z code last. If none of the dx codes do not link or not told why we always fall back on dx Z01.89 as primary dx code. I listed some below drug screenings we use to help you. Also modifier 90 can be used for outside lab but we also use modifier 91 if the provider orders the same lab test 2 times on same date of encounter.

Drug Screening urine CPT 82565 84600 R82.79 Dx codes: F12, F19, F10 Z02.83

Drug Screening blood CPT 82565 84600 R78 , Possible Dx Codes F17, F19, F16

Hepatitis A-E dx codes B18.2,B15, B16 dx code Z13.39

Can use CPT 82043 but we link to K76.89 DO of Liver cause liver testing can display if alcohol liquor or any kind of drugs in human system And also one of the sub abuses dx codes if the provider is searching for abuse . Also the CPT 80061 or 80053 can be linked to any disease pass thru edits.

Did this information help you?
Have a great day!
Lady T:)

I work for a mental health agency and we have to do drug screens. Is there a separate code for sending to an outside lab?
There is a code for sending specimens to an outside lab but it is very specific. From CPT Assistant Feb. 1999

99000, Handling and/or conveyance of specimen for transfer from the physician's office to a laboratory, is intended to be reported when the physician incurs costs to handle and/or transport a specimen to the laboratory (eg, via messenger service). If the specimen is picked up by laboratory staff at no additional cost to the physician, it would not be appropriate to report CPT code 99000.

In addition, it may not be covered separately. For example, Medicare doesn't pay for it separately.

I would agree with @jkyles@decisionhealth.com from the above answers. If you are not PERFORMING the testing, you should not bill for it. The lab is performing and billing for the testing. I've never used 99000 for the physician as I've never encountered a situation where the physician collecting the specimen has to transport it to the lab. In my area, all labs will pick up the specimens for all types of testing.