Wiki how electronic medical records affect auditing jobs

nagela

Contributor
Best answers
I've been thinking about Certified Professional Medical Auditor certification but wonder if the need for auditors is going to decrease with electronic medical records. I know that the software for electronic medical records picks the E/M level of service for the physician and lets the physician know if they forgot to mark something. I know there is still going to be paper record with surgeries but the paper medical records for E/M service is slowing going away. I'm currently a CPC and looking for the best path to take for future education. I'm just concerned with putting money and time in a certification that may not be needed in a few years.
Thank you

Hi,

I currently am working as a coding educator/auditor for a large multi-specialty group practice. We have had an EMR for several years now. The code selection function on this particular EMR is not reliable, and I have been told that very few are. We still audit all providers on E/M and plan to start performing audits on operative procedures in the near future.

Hope this helps!