Wiki How is the CPB?

krwilson089

Best answers
I take my CPB on 5/15, and I'm getting really nervous. Like, knots in my stomach, can't sleep nervous. I'd love some insight on how it goes, what you were able to bring, and just generally how to calm myself down.
Also, any New Orleans billers out there?

Hey there! I took the CPB a year ago. It wasn't too bad. Be sure to thoroughly study the Study Guide. You are allowed to bring Cpt, Icd-10, and HCPCS books, I believe. Good Luck!

I'll go on record as the weird one :) - I thought the case studies portion of the CPB was fun to do when I took the exam in 2016. If you've been working as a biller, you should be fine. As emom04 says, hit the study guide. You might get tripped up if you haven't worked with a wide variety of payers as a biller. The case studies provide copies of applicable policies, EOB copies, etc so you don't have to have policies memorized. I had a lot going on at work at the time and was stressing pretty hard because I didn't have enough study time. Then I decided that I'd been doing the work for years so if I couldn't pass the exam without a lot of studying, I was probably in the wrong line of work lol Best of luck to you!

1618851055541.png

I take my CPB on 5/15, and I'm getting really nervous. Like, knots in my stomach, can't sleep nervous. I'd love some insight on how it goes, what you were able to bring, and just generally how to calm myself down.
Hi! I am in the NOLA area. CPC since 2004 and taking first CPB EXAM 5-5-2021 in Houma, La. Since there will be pt responsibility calcs and fee calcs to do, I just messaged my proctor today and we can take a small calculator inside. We cannot, of course, bring cell phone in.
I really wanted to respond to you because I found CCO.US on YouTube and online that was a huge help to me this week in preparing! You can watch their CPB stuff on Youtube AND they have a website with one free CPB practice exam. Also, online the CCO.US website has three practice exams you can purchase for $80. They stress about the time factor! ( I’m in FQHC billing for close to 17 yrs so my thought processes have to be the opposite on most answers).
Well , I wish you the best of luck and look up CCO.US because they are a huge help!

Last edited:
I just found this - some things are pretty basic on here - but it's a fun
refresher & I did not pay for the signup.

Last edited:
I'll go on record as the weird one :) - I thought the case studies portion of the CPB was fun to do when I took the exam in 2016. If you've been working as a biller, you should be fine. As emom04 says, hit the study guide. You might get tripped up if you haven't worked with a wide variety of payers as a biller. The case studies provide copies of applicable policies, EOB copies, etc so you don't have to have policies memorized. I had a lot going on at work at the time and was stressing pretty hard because I didn't have enough study time. Then I decided that I'd been doing the work for years so if I couldn't pass the exam without a lot of studying, I was probably in the wrong line of work lol Best of luck to you!

View attachment 5254
thanks! do you remember if you received a copy of the CMS-1500 and UB-04 with the exam? unfortunately i have never worked this field a day in my life; i'm starting with a start-up and i need to be certified for liability reasons, which is understandable. i'm just super anxious and can't get out of my own head.
and if you remember, how did the AAPC course final compare to the CPB exam? i got a 95 in 90 minutes which i'm really happy with, but i'm worried that i won't be fully prepared. i plan to take it again to be safe.
thank you again!

I take the CPB on 5/8 and I feel the same way

thanks! do you remember if you received a copy of the CMS-1500 and UB-04 with the exam? unfortunately i have never worked this field a day in my life; i'm starting with a start-up and i need to be certified for liability reasons, which is understandable. i'm just super anxious and can't get out of my own head.
and if you remember, how did the AAPC course final compare to the CPB exam? i got a 95 in 90 minutes which i'm really happy with, but i'm worried that i won't be fully prepared. i plan to take it again to be safe.
thank you again!
You get a copy of the appropriate claim form in the case studies but I don't recall getting blank copies of the forms in the test booklet. However, it's been many, many moons since I tested so (a) I could be misremembering the details or (b) things could have changed in that time.