Wiki how many units do you code if 1 mg of midazolam is used (J2250)

ms.bones206

Networker
Best answers
How many units do you code if 1 mg of midazolam is used (J2250)? My doctor uses anywhere from 2-4 mg and I haven't been able to find the conversion into units to code. For example, J3301 Kenalog-40mg/1cc=4units or J0702 Celestone 6 mg/1CC = 2 Units...

Thank you.

How many units do you code if 1 mg of midazolam is used (J2250)? My doctor uses anywhere from 2-4 mg and I haven't been able to find the conversion into units to code. For example, J3301 Kenalog-40mg/1cc=4units or J0702 Celestone 6 mg/1CC = 2 Units...

Thank you.
Agreed, for J2550 each 1 mg given will translate to 1 unit billed.

In your other examples, you're confusing strength with dosage. 40mg/1cc is a measure of the strength of the mixture, not of the dosage given, so 40mg/1cc does not necessarily equal 4 units - you would need to know how many cc were given in order to be able to calculate your units from this.. Units need to reflect the amount of the drug itself that was administered to the patient at the encounter, which may vary from patient to patient even if the provider is using the same 40mg/cc strength for different patients.