Wiki How much should I be earning?

JAMETH345

Networker
Best answers
I realize that there are a number of factors that affect salary, but I wonder if my pay is what it should be. I won't disclose how much I make, so please don't ask, but depending on the responses I get, I may acknowledge if I'm (comparatively) underpaid. I have a bachelor's degree in accounting, though very little experience in that field. 9 years recent billing experience. CPC-A (I expect to remove the A fairly soon), CPB. And I'm wondering what kind of benefits are considered fairly standard in healthcare. Based on job ads I've seen, I think I could be doing better in that area. I understand that a lot of credentialed people are struggling to find any kind of entry-level position, so I hope I don't come across as greedy or ungrateful for what I have, I just want to know what my reasonable expectations should be.

John Methgen, BS, CPC-A, CPB

You have to factor in your geographically area because every state could be different on how they pay. Another thing you want to factor in is your experience in the coding field. Entry level position are going to be, most of the time, a low starting amount but over time you will get up there. Like any career you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. You can't expect to be making a lot when you first start out in the coding field, as more than likely you will be starting off at entry level. AAPC always puts out a newsletter of coding salary and if you look through it you will see that the more experience you get the more your salary will go up. So again within your first year to roughly around 3 years you won't be making the big bucks sadly to say. You are just going to have to be patient. You will get there. Last thing you have to factor in is the company you are working for. Hope this helps a little.

How much should a person make I feel is individual to that person. There is more to any job than just a paycheck. You can have a large income but very little satisfaction in what you do, or in your life because of the job, or the coworkers, or the environment. Or you can make enough to get you through and be extremely happy with your job, boss etc. so really no one can tell you if you make enough. You have to decide where you are the happiest and what environment makes you better.
For instance I worked in an office where the income was awesome, the benefits were huge, but the owner set up an office culture of rudeness and disrespect among the coworkers and supervisors. You would be subjected to yelling of insults and swearing back and and forth every day. I lasted a month and could no longer tolerate the verbal abuse. So you see awesome pay for angst and stress, not worth it to me.
So seek happiness and fulfillment the pay will follow.