Wiki How proficient in Microsoft Office does a coder have to be?

Best answers
I'm a CPC looking for an entry level position. How proficient in Microsoft Office do you have to be? What software do you need to know (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, etc.) and do you need to create spreadsheets, databases, presentations or other documents?

During my interviews, I'm always asked about my proficiency in excel. A lot of my pre-employment assessments are in excel. At one point, I have gone to areas like YouTube for training, if that tells you anything. Presentations and documents, I'm rarely asked about those.

I think it really depends on the employer, practice and type of environment or coding you would be doing. Everyone should have a basic understanding. In my current auditing role excel and word are heavily used however, as a production coder it would not really have been needed in other places I have worked.
Some places might be heavy in excel use while others use their internal EMR/EHR for data entry, etc.
I would not expect an entry level coder to be highly proficient in those realms. I would be more concerned with their coding knowledge, ability to learn and research to find answers to coding issues. Who cares if you are really adept at excel if you can't find a correct ICD-10 code or CPT for a procedure?

I think it really depends on the employer, practice and type of environment or coding you would be doing. Everyone should have a basic understanding. In my current auditing role excel and word are heavily used however, as a production coder it would not really have been needed in other places I have worked.
Some places might be heavy in excel use while others use their internal EMR/EHR for data entry, etc.
I would not expect an entry level coder to be highly proficient in those realms. I would be more concerned with their coding knowledge, ability to learn and research to find answers to coding issues. Who cares if you are really adept at excel if you can't find a correct ICD-10 code or CPT for a procedure?
Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed response!