Wiki how should I know when a post-surgical status Z code is needed?

Best answers
This has tripped me up before. Latest example from my practicode:

PROCEDURES: REVISION OF TRABECULECTOMY AND REPAIR OF BLEB LEAK RIGHT EYE.
POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: CHRONIC BLEB LEAK, RIGHT EYE.

The rationale says it needed Z98.83, Filtering (vitreous) bleb after glaucoma surgery status. The rationale cites 2020 Coding Clinic, 3Q, Page 29. Without seeing that exact source, which I hadn't, how would I know from the codebook that a status Z code should go with the H59.89? More generally, how can I know there ought to be a post-surgery status Z code? Do I just have to go to Z98 and read through all the codes?

This has tripped me up before. Latest example from my practicode:

The rationale says it needed Z98.83, Filtering (vitreous) bleb after glaucoma surgery status. The rationale cites 2020 Coding Clinic, 3Q, Page 29. Without seeing that exact source, which I hadn't, how would I know from the codebook that a status Z code should go with the H59.89? More generally, how can I know there ought to be a post-surgery status Z code? Do I just have to go to Z98 and read through all the codes?

The primary diagnosis of H59.89 would probably have me looking further. "Other postprocedureal complications, not elsewhere classified" is very vague. It would probably trigger me to see if I could find something more specific before settling on using just that code.

That's probably the best suggestion I can give, in general. Investigate a little further if you find yourself choosing an "Other...NEC" code just to be sure there isn't something else you should add or code to add specificity.

I don't code Ophthalmology, so I can only give so much advice on this specific scenario & codes. With only seeing a snippet of the note, I'm sure if I would have arrived at Z98.83. I can see that there's an entry in the Alphabetic Index under the term "bleb" for Z98.83. Would I have looked there? Maybe...if something in the rest of the note pointed me in that direction. But I could just as likely overlooked it.

(My current job would rarely have a need for me to pull up a postprocedural complication code, so my investigation skills on that are probably a little rusty right now!)