Wiki how to bill co-surgeon if M62 not allowed

rkindlund

Networker
Best answers
I have an op note that indicates my surgeon was co-surgeon with another surgeon on a melanoma excision and lymph node biopsy. The codes (38510 and 11626) are not compatible with a 62 modifier. I'm at a loss as to how to bill this one - we are coordinating with the other office to bill it, but does one have to be classified as primary and the other as assist if the 62 is not allowed?

Are you two surgeons in the same specialty? It is my understanding, two general surgeons cannot be consider co-surgeons. They must be of different specialties for the 62 mod. Therefore, you maybe able to bill as a primary and assistant surgeons. Check your codes to see if they allow an 80 mod. Hope this helps. I struggle with 62 modifiers sometimes.

are you sure you are wanting co surgeon modifier? to use a 62 modifier you need 2 surgeons performing 2 distinctive parts of the exact same procedure. If you have 2 surgeons in the same operative session but each is performing a different procedure then you bill each surgeon for the procedure each performed without any modifier. The procedures you have listed are not extensive enough to need two different surgeons performing different parts. A good example of the 62 modifier usage is cervical spine surgery where you have one surgeon perform an anterior approach and the other perform the spinal surgery.