Wiki How to code Aborted Watchman procedure?

vidraj

Guru
Best answers
Hello everyone ,

I have been using 33340 - 53 - Dx code, for all cancelled Watchman procedure due to anatomical constraints.

I would like to know if anyone codes differently!

Especially with reference to this link:
https://www.watchman.com/content/da...eimbursement/WATCHMAN_Reimbursement_Guide.pdf
Page 20 -
• May use modifier 53 for a Discontinued Procedure
• The modifier is used to report services or procedures when the service/procedure is discontinued after anesthesia is administered to the patient. Submit the length/amount of procedure completed and reason for discontinued services.
• The physician can only code for what was accomplished in the procedure (e.g., groin access; or, transseptal puncture and imaging; or, inspection, insertion and removal)

Am I coding these claims correctly? Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.

i code physician services - not hospital- and i code what he did, so if does a LHC with transseptal puncture then he can't wire the LAA and aborts. I bill 93452 and 93462. If he does everything and then removes the watchman, I bill 33340-52 with comment, watchman placed in LAA and remove due to XYZ reason. I haven't had to use 53 on watchman yet, but I have for cardiac catheterization. Think about the differences between 52 and 53, then look at each case individually and make your decision. So far for watchman, we haven't had to abort for 53 modifier reasons.. yet.

Thank you Margaret for this helpful explanation .
- "if does a LHC with transseptal puncture then he can't wire the LAA and aborts. I bill 93452 and 93462" - Exactly what I needed for a claim.

One last question - "I bill 33340-52 with comment, watchman placed in LAA and remove due to XYZ reason" - where do you enter these comments?

Hello everyone ,

I have been using 33340 - 53 - Dx code, for all cancelled Watchman procedure due to anatomical constraints.

I would like to know if anyone codes differently!

Especially with reference to this link:
https://www.watchman.com/content/da...eimbursement/WATCHMAN_Reimbursement_Guide.pdf
Page 20 -
• May use modifier 53 for a Discontinued Procedure
• The modifier is used to report services or procedures when the service/procedure is discontinued after anesthesia is administered to the patient. Submit the length/amount of procedure completed and reason for discontinued services.
• The physician can only code for what was accomplished in the procedure (e.g., groin access; or, transseptal puncture and imaging; or, inspection, insertion and removal)

Am I coding these claims correctly? Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
I code for these for profee billing and I also use the 53 modifier.