Wiki how to code? condition + symptom?

ohn0disaster

Best answers
I posted this in the Diagnosis section of the forum, but I am getting no responses. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction in this section.

Ok, I just wanted to be sure about something. I have a doctor that writes "Myelodysplastic syndrome with anemia" as, say, DX #1. Then DX #2 will be "Anemia secondary to Myelodysplastic syndrome".

I was under the impression that anemia is a SYMPTOM of Myelodysplastic syndrome, thus eliminating the need to code the anemia since you're not supposed to code the symptom of a disease when the disease has been confirmed and coded. ie 250.00 + 790.29
He seems so intent on grinding that anemia DX in though so it's made me unsure. Should I be coding anemia in chronic illness, 285.29, along with the code for MDS?

Thanks in advance!

Any help would be appreciated. I always ask the questions that get no answers! What's up with that?! Lol

what procedure are you coding for? Just an ov or is it for something else?

If its an ov I don't see the harm in using the anemia code in addition to the MDS, but if its for use of chemotherapy or another procedure...depending on which insurance carrier you are billing to...you may be required to code it a specific way.