Wiki How to code for a telephone call

NEOSM507

Best answers
Hello,

87year old NEW PATIENT was located inpatient hospital. The hospital sent the provider x-ray images, and history of fall, etc.. and the provider diagnosed the patient with a non displaced distal radius fracture. Via telephone call, he discussed a treatment plan with the hospital and the patients son, and advised to follow up in a week.

Is there any way to code for this?

Thank you

Last edited:
It depends on the insurance. I believe 99441-99443 can be used for phone calls for commercial plans. Medicare only accepts G2012 for phone calls. I'm still learning all these too so that's what I've gotten so far.

It depends on the insurance. I believe 99441-99443 can be used for phone calls for commercial plans. Medicare only accepts G2012 for phone calls. I'm still learning all these too so that's what I've gotten so far.

thank you, I edited my post to reflect that this was a new patient to us. The codes you mentioned are for established patients. I find it absurd that there is no way for a provider to provide an asynchronous visit to a new patient and code for it.

thank you, I edited my post to reflect that this was a new patient to us. The codes you mentioned are for established patients. I find it absurd that there is no way for a provider to provide an asynchronous visit to a new patient and code for it.
I agree, especially when it comes to medicare, we are then only left with G2012; which has a reimbursement of only $14.80! I watched two different telehealth webinars yesterday and they stated that was the only option. But neither of the webinars mentioned 99446-99449, and upon reviewing in the book, they say those codes apply for telephone and/or internet for new patients, so I'll definitely be looking into those more. Although reimbursement for those, are also low.