Wiki How to code SP on a diagnosis

rob1119

Best answers
Would you code PVD SP differently from just PVD? I'm not sure how SP changes a diagnosis. This is a diabetic patient with ESRD, gangrene, and who has had a leg amputated. The diagnoses were ESRD, PVD SP, GANGRENE, and DM II with neuropathy. I believe that SP does stand for status post, but I wasn't sure how that would affect the coding of it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Would you code PVD SP differently from just PVD? I'm not sure how SP changes a diagnosis. Thanks!

Would help to have more information. Can you add some information surrounding the use of the PVD SP? SP usually stands for Status Post and related to a condition or procedure.

Added more details to SP question...does anyone know?

I've edited and added details to my question.

Would you code PVD SP differently from just PVD? I'm not sure how SP changes a diagnosis. This is a diabetic patient with ESRD, gangrene, and who has had a leg amputated. The diagnoses were ESRD, PVD SP, GANGRENE, and DM II with neuropathy. I believe that SP does stand for status post, but I wasn't sure how that would affect the coding of it. Thanks!

You might look at 443.1 since that is a condition of PVD that leads to gangrene.