Wiki How to report 54050 x 3?

Brandy0618

Guru
Best answers
I am not new to coding but new to dermatology. I need advice on how to report 54056 x3. My provider states we should be able to report 3 cryo areas that he preformed destruction on. All 3 areas of destruction were on the scrotum. Can we report this x3? Or can it be reported on 3 line items? Or is this code (alone) applicable if you destroy one vs 10? Thank you for any help.

what is the lesion?
The clinical note states...Condyloma Accuminata located on groin-Testicle sac. Exam: Grape like looking verrucous papules fragile. Qty:3. Plan: Procedure-Cryosurgery. I queried the provider about the CPT code he used and the quantity as he reported 54056 x3. His response was that he used cryo on 3 different areas of the scrotum.

tell em the code description is lesion or lesions so only bill once 54056
Destruction of lesion(s), penis (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; cryosurgery

That said if documented as extensive could bill 54065 if documented as took more time or more difficult due to number or size of lesions

he clinical note states...Condyloma Accuminata located on groin-Testicle sac. Exam: Grape like looking verrucous papules fragile. Qty:3. Plan: Procedure-Cryosurgery. I queried the provider

tell em the code description is lesion or lesions so only bill once 54056
Destruction of lesion(s), penis (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; cryosurgery

That said if documented as extensive could bill 54065 if documented as took more time or more difficult due to number or size of lesions
Thank you so much. Sometimes small things such as lesion(s) need to be the monster on the page....lol. This way I cannot ignore it. I appreciate your help!!;)