• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

How would i code dx cpt 77080 DEXA or normal bone mineral density 77078??

she803

Networker
Best answers
The physician who documented impression of this report states normal bone mineral density but procedure states DEXA cpt 77080--need 2nd opinion on which cpt should i code and which dx should be coded b/c dx 627.8 was denied but i dont see any dx on this report indicating it. Please assist. Thank you.

Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry:

History: 70 year-old woman who is being evaluated for osteoporosis.

Technique: Dual-energy x-ray bone densitometry of the lumbar spine and proximal right femur was performed.

The average bone density of L1 to L4 is 1.407 gm/cm2. This is 1.9 standard deviations above the mean for a young female control group (T-score), and is 2.6 standard deviations above the age, gender, and ethnicity matched control group (Z-score). Compared to previous examination, the bone mineral density has increased from 1.298 gm/cm2, representing 8.4 % improvement.

The left femoral neck bone density is 1.048 gm/cm2, which is 0.1 standard deviations above the mean of young female control group (T-score), and is 1.2 standard deviations above the age, weight, gender, and ethnicity matched control group (Z-score).

The right femoral neck bone density is 1.101 gm/cm2, which is 0.5 standard deviations above the mean of young female control group (T-score), and is 1.6 standard deviations above the age, weight, gender, and ethnicity matched control group (Z-score). Compared to previous examination, the bone mineral density has increased, representing 4.3 % improvement.

FRAX assessment for 10-year probability of fracture: major osteoporotic fracture 3.6 %, and hip fracture is 0.2 %.

Impression:

Normal bone mineral density of the lumbar spine and both proximal femurs. Improvement in bone mineral density compared to previous exam.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
This looks like a screening and would need a screening V code. As to the 627.8 that is for a post-menopausal disorder and none is mentioned, you would use a V code for post menopausal status.
Being evaluated for the possibility of osteoporosis sounds like a screening to me. Without more documentation that is the only thing I can take from this.

berryc

Networker
Best answers
We would code this with 77080 and 77082 in my office. I would also use V code for screening V82.81. I hope this is correct and helps!