Wiki How would one code and bill for recollecting a sample and re-running a test again?

calatv

New
Best answers
Hello! How would one code and bill for recollecting a sample and re-running a test again? For example, if the sample was rejected for insufficient quantity for the test and needed to be recollected again. Would one code and bill for the screening?
I'm dealing specifically with 87633, but the knowledge for general practice would be great too. I thought one would simply code and bill it again, the same as the initial test. But it's come back 3 times already so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hello! How would one code and bill for recollecting a sample and re-running a test again? For example, if the sample was rejected for insufficient quantity for the test and needed to be recollected again. Would one code and bill for the screening?
I'm dealing specifically with 87633, but the knowledge for general practice would be great too. I thought one would simply code and bill it again, the same as the initial test. But it's come back 3 times already so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

If the sample is a recollection because the first sample was inadequate, insufficient or otherwise compromised and can't be used, you cannot bill it again. And you definitely can't bill it with mod 91! Go to Appendix A in the back of your CPT book and read the full description of modifier 91 for more specifics. You only use mod 91 if the test is for subequent results on the same date of service, as necessary to the patient's treatment.

Here is a helpful article from the AAPC knowledge center:

https://www.aapc.com/blog/28269-proper-use-of-modifier-91/