Wiki HPI and ROS Double Dipping

mony94803

Contributor
Best answers
E/M Guidelines

I have a encounter that states:

HPI: Patient complains of chest pain for 2 weeks which is dull in nature. No SOB

Can I count chest pain twice? One element for location in HPI and one element for Cardiovascualr ROS? I'm really confused as searching on the web states yes we can double dip and others state we can't.

Palmetto website states "Documentation cannot be used twice uner the History Component. This is referred to as "double dipping". Example: Allergies may be used under the ROS(Allergic/Immunolgic) or under past history".

Does the term "History Component" mean all components? (i.e. CC, HPI, ROS and PFSH). Do you know where I can get an answer?

Thanks
Simone Shofner, CPC: :confused:

I was always taught that it is "double dipping" to use it twice. I want to say I learned that in an AAPC webinar but I cannot remember for sure.

E/M Guidelines

HPI: Patient complains of chest pain for 2 weeks which is dull in nature. No SOB

Can I count chest pain twice? One element for location in HPI and one element for Cardiovascualr ROS? I'm really confused as searching on the web states yes we can double dip and others state we can't.

Palmetto website states "Documentation cannot be used twice uner the History Component. This is referred to as "double dipping". Example: Allergies may be used under the ROS(Allergic/Immunolgic) or under past history".

Does the term "History Component" mean all components? (i.e. CC, HPI, ROS and PFSH). Do you know where I can get an answer?

Thanks

take chest pain only once. cause if you take it twice it double dipping... and y we cant double dip cause in some cases .. if you consider same documentation in 2 places it rises your level so that's not ethical.

E/M Guidelines

Thanks

You can break it down like this:

cc: Chest pain

HPI:
duration = 2 weeks
quality = dull in nature

ROS:
respiratory = No SOB

This way you are not "double dipping" as you put it. ROS can be abstracted/taken from the HPI.