Wiki Hpi-Modifying Factors

pattytpa

Best answers
A new patient, John Smith, comes into my office for an evaluation following a motor vehicle accident that occurred on 1/3/02. His chief complaints consist of left-sided neck pain and left anterior chest wall pain. The neck and chest pain started a few hours after the accident. The neck pain sometimes radiates into the shoulder and can be sharp in nature. The pain decreases with the use of the heating pad.

I say the following are each included in the above HPI descriptors?
Timing
Context
Modifying Factors

The book said context was not in the progress note. What do you think?

A new patient, John Smith, comes into my office for an evaluation following a motor vehicle accident that occurred on 1/3/02. His chief complaints consist of left-sided neck pain and left anterior chest wall pain. The neck and chest pain started a few hours after the accident. The neck pain sometimes radiates into the shoulder and can be sharp in nature. The pain decreases with the use of the heating pad.

I say the following are each included in the above HPI descriptors?
Timing
Context
Modifying Factors

The book said context was not in the progress note. What do you think?

I see"
CC/Location = pain (neck/chest)
Timing = few hours after accident
Severity = sharp in nature
Modifying Factors = paint decreases with use of heating pad

I don't see Quality (unless that's what I'm calling Severity) ;) and I don't see Context either.
what do you see as Context?

Thanks!

I thought "following a motor vehicle accident that occurred on 1/3/02" would constitute as "context". I gave quality for "sharp in nature"
Thanks a bunch for the reply.

I agree

I agree with your assessment that "context" is documented based on the documentation that it follows the accident and I agree with "quality" instead of severity. When dealing with pain, I typically judge "severity" on the 10 scale.

yes, I see the comparison with the "severity"/"quality" - and I'd agree, "sharp" should go under quality. however - I still don't see "context" here. Context is basically - under what circumstances does it occur - which I believe is referring to the CC/issue at hand (eg, the sharp pain only happens when bending to the right - or some other statement to that effect).