Wiki HPI Question

LindsayC

Contributor
Best answers
I am newer to auditing and have a quick question.

I was told once that "cough" in the HPI can be counted as location, because it affects the throat.

So can "memory loss" be counted as location for brain?

Hello,

I wouldn't count these as location I would count these as either the chief complaint or associated signs and symptoms. Depending on how the HPI is documented. Interested to read what other auditors think.

I agree. I would not count cough as a location it is too vauge. The provider would need to be more speficic.

Locaton: Left, Right, Generalized, localized, RUQ, Epigastric, temporal, NecK, foot, LLE, Ear, Stomach.

Just my opinion. E/M auditing can be very subjecting. Educating your providers to be more specfic is the best approach. I stress to my provdiers to use as many adjectives as possible.

This same question was asked a few weeks ago. In fact, the same example (cough) was used. My answer even includes a mental disorder being located in the brain. Here, I'll copy and paste it for you:

The contractors I've asked have not accepted 'inferred' location. Meaning you can't just infer that the location of depression is the brain, or the location of asthma is the lungs, or hypertension is the heart, etc. For some problems you can get a location (left knee or right thumb) but some you can't (diabetes.)

Thanks

Thank you! When I was first studying for the CEMC exam, that is when I got confused about "inferred" locations. There was a webinar I watched and the person stated "cough" could be a location. I never thought that was correct.

Thanks for the help!