Question HPI question

CPS1984

New
Best answers
Did the HPI rules change in 2023? I cannot find any documentation regarding it. I am reading my CPMA textbook and it says I can find the guidelines in the CPT book annnnnd I am not finding anything current. The textbook still says we use 95/97 guidelines for auditing HPI.

Any help is appreciated!

Is it a CPMA study guide? What year is it from?
You would refer to the Evaluation and Management Services Guidelines section in the front of the CPT book. It is a "medically appropriate" history. Look at the History and/or Examination section.
Have you been around coding with regard to E/M for the years 2021 and forward? The E/M guidelines changed for office/outpatient 2021, and then the rest going forward 2022 and later.
95/97 is no longer used.

Is it a CPMA study guide? What year is it from?
You would refer to the Evaluation and Management Services Guidelines section in the front of the CPT book. It is a "medically appropriate" history. Look at the History and/or Examination section.
Have you been around coding with regard to E/M for the years 2021 and forward? The E/M guidelines changed for office/outpatient 2021, and then the rest going forward 2022 and later.
95/97 is no longer used.
It's the CPMA textbook that I have. Most of the info in the book is up to date 2021 guidelines, but the HPI section in there is all about the 95/97 guidelines and it's driving me crazy.

What year is the book from though? If it is from 2021 for example, it would make sense to refer to 95/97 & HPI if they were talking about inpatient or consults. Depending on what year the book is from and what year the services they are referring to occurred.

At this point though there is only a small reference to History and/or Examination in the E/M guidelines in the CPT book. Medically appropriate.

Either that or someone needs to edit that book better if it's saying to check boxes for HPI, ROS and PFSH.