Wiki HPV Positive ICD-10 code

tammymills97

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone have an ICD-10 code for HPV Positive metastatic squamous cell carcinoma to the cervical lymph nodes? The patient has unknown primary malignancy and I have been searching for the last hour for a dx code.

Thanks In Advance
Tammy

I would use:
1) C80.1 Malignant (primary) neoplasm, unspecified
2) C77.0 Secondary and unspecified malignant neoplasm of lymph nodes of head, face and neck for the malignant cervical nodes
For the HPV+, I will assume (huge assumption) this was a high risk result following a cervical PAP which would be
3) R87.810 Cervical high risk human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA test positive
PLEASE NOTE: diagnosis #3 should be confirmed with records or the provider. The information you provided (HPV+) is not enough to make this assumption.

C80.1 Malignant (primary) neoplasm, unspecified
C77.0 Secondary and unspecified malignant neoplasm of lymph nodes of head, face and neck for the malignant cervical nodes
For the HPV+ as long as it is officially documented by a physician as HPV+ you could could use B97.7
This is not to be confused with p16 positivity.
HPV-positive is not equivalent to HPV mediated (p16+).
HPV-type 16 refers to virus type and is different from p16 overexpression (p16+).
HPV status is determined by tests designed to detect viral DNA or RNA.
Tests based on ISH, PCR, RT-PCR technologies detect the viral DNA or RNA; whereas, the test for p16 expression, a surrogate marker for HPV, is IHC.
HPV testing must be positive by viral detection tests in order to code as B97.7
R87.810 is not appropriate as there is no reference to this being cervical & it could very well be anal, but in either case neither are correct to use.
That is unless it is documented, as coding based on assumption is not allowed.
Lastly as a CTC coder of 15+ years I have never seen a reference to cervical/anal HPV positivity in relation to HPV Positive metastatic squamous cell carcinoma to the cervical lymph nodes.
I've only seen it stated as HPV Positive "physician so stated location"