Wiki HTN with CKD

The ICD-10-CM coding guidelines clearly state to assume a causal relationship between HTN and CKD because they are linked with the term 'with' in the alphabetical index. Please refer to section 1.C.9.a.2 in the guidelines. The only time you would not link them is if the provider stated the two conditions are not linked, otherwise they are and I12.x is the correct code range to use with an additional code for the stage of CKD.

Yes, you are correct, if documented both condition, you can link them. Either I12.0 with stage 5 or end stage of renal disease, or I12.9 with CKD 1 to 4 or N18.9

The ICD-10-CM coding guidelines clearly state to assume a causal relationship between HTN and CKD because they are linked with the term 'with' in the alphabetical index. Please refer to section 1.C.9.a.2 in the guidelines. The only time you would not link them is if the provider stated the two conditions are not linked, otherwise they are and I12.x is the correct code range to use with an additional code for the stage of CKD.
Where my mind twists this guideline is when the physician states that the CKD is due to something else other than HTN, but does not clearly state that the CKD and HTN are not linked, do you still have to assume cause and effect between the HTN and CKD?

Where my mind twists this guideline is when the physician states that the CKD is due to something else other than HTN, but does not clearly state that the CKD and HTN are not linked, do you still have to assume cause and effect between the HTN and CKD?
You are overthinking this. If the provider states that CKD is due to something other than HTN then you have sufficient documentation to NOT use I12 codes. By saying it is due to something else they are clearly stating they are not linked.