Wiki Hydration code for 2 separate events 1 hour apart

karebrad

New
Best answers
Please give me your thougnts on how you would code the following in an emergency room setting:

#1 Sodium Chloride hydration, for 25 minutes.
One hour break; no other medications of any given
#2 Sodium Chloride hydration, for 25 minutes.

I cannot find any documentation in the 2016 CPT book to state that I can add up the total time for all (sodium chloride as a type) hydrations given separately, and use that number of minutes to determine whether to charge, or not.

If I use the information as written in CPT book, since neither hydration was more than 31 minutes, I cannot code for either.

If I use the strategy that I can add Hydration #1 and Hydration #2 to total 50 minutes, I can code 96360 x1.

Thank you for your help!

Er hydration coding dilemma.

Did you find the answer to your question? If so please share your answer.
I have a similar scenario in the ER. Patient was was given Saline from 0820-0850 for 30 minutes. (CPT 2017 states;Infusion hydration; initial 31 min. to 1hr.)
Saline from 0850-1230 ( Each additional hour).
Should I report CPTcode 96360 and 96361x3?

Please give me your thougnts on how you would code the following in an emergency room setting:

#1 Sodium Chloride hydration, for 25 minutes.
One hour break; no other medications of any given
#2 Sodium Chloride hydration, for 25 minutes.

I cannot find any documentation in the 2016 CPT book to state that I can add up the total time for all (sodium chloride as a type) hydrations given separately, and use that number of minutes to determine whether to charge, or not.

If I use the information as written in CPT book, since neither hydration was more than 31 minutes, I cannot code for either.

If I use the strategy that I can add Hydration #1 and Hydration #2 to total 50 minutes, I can code 96360 x1.

Thank you for your help!