Wiki Hydration done same day as Heparin

Best answers
I am getting mixed answers and need help please. I have been researching this all morning and can't seem to find the right answer. We are giving a patient hydration for dehydration and diarrhea over a 2 hour period. We also did an IV push of heparin. The codes selected by the nurses for this visit are as follows: 96360, 96361, J7030, A4221, A4212, 96374-59, and J1642. Is this the correct way to bill for this or is the heparin and IV push included in hydration that was done? Please help.

Thank you

Hydration

infusion guidelines state that an IVP would be your initial 96374 with hydration billed as 96361 x 2. The initial hydration code, 96360 is only used if there are no other drugs given and the patient is only getting hydration fluids. Curious as to why the heparin was given? Hope this helps.

Crystarg

p.s the only reason you would use a 59 modifier for a second initial code as the nurses did for the 96374 is 2 different IV sites or different encounters on the same day of service.

From what you have said, I am assuming that the heparin is used as a flush (IVP) and that is bundled in the procedure. If no other drugs were given, you would bill 96360 and 96361 for the two hours of hydration.

IF the patient received another drug such as Aloxi (not heparin flush to keep line open), then the therapuetic drug administration would be your primary service with 96361(2) for the hydration.

Hope this helps,
Rhonda Crouch, CPC, CHONC

The heparin was given to keep the line open so I thought it was bundled but I just wanted another opinion. Thank you so much for both of your replies. :)