Wiki Hypertension and CHF

coder1

Guru
Best answers
Good Afternoon Coding World!

I want to make sure that i'm under the right impression when reading 2017 coding guidelines.

The ICD-10 coding guidelines states :

Hypertension
The classification presumes a causal relationship between hypertension and heart involvement and between hypertension and kidney involvement, as the two conditions are linked by the term “with” in the Alphabetic Index. These conditions should be coded as related even in the absence of provider documentation explicitly linking them, unless the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated.
For hypertension and conditions not specifically linked by relational terms such as “with,” “associated with” or “due to” in the classification, provider documentation must link the conditions in order to code them as related.

So, If hypertension (without any mention of relationship) is documented in the same note as CHF. I should presume relationship and link both HTN and CHF?

Yes this is correct. This started Oct 1, 2015. The guideline was already there but was not well communicated, that is why it is perceived that this is a new guideline for 2017. However it is a new guideline for ICD-10 CM.