Wiki Hypertension and heart disease

surajdk

Contributor
Best answers
If hypertension and heart disease mentioned in assessment , can we code I11.9 or we will code I10 only.
could you please guide me on this

Check out the Chapter 9 ICD-10 guidelines under Hypertension with heart disease. This should explain everything to you :)

Feel free to ask further if the guidelines are not making sense.

Check out the Chapter 9 ICD-10 guidelines under Hypertension with heart disease. This should explain everything to you :)

Feel free to ask further if the guidelines are not making sense.
Thank you for reply on my question.
But m asking hypertension and heart disease is separately mention can we link , bcz in guidelines there is mentioned if hypertension due to heart disease then we can code I11.9.
I am much obliged if you given your thoughts on this.
thank you.

If the heart disease is coded as an I50 or I 51.4-I51.9 then you do combine the heart disease with the hypertension. This is in the guidelines. The provider does not need to link the conditions in the documentation, you only add an additional code if it is heart failure otherwise just the I11 code

If the provider documents that the heart disease is not due to the hypertension or if he documents the gear disease is due to a different condition then the coder would not code for hypertensive heart disease due to documentation and would use the I10 and whatever other combination for the heart disease

I agree with Debra on this. Unless the provider specifically documents that the HTN or Heart disease is not related to each other, you should pick up the appropriate combination code. There is a specific causal relationship that AMA has outlined pretty well in the front of the ICD-10 book under the "With" section (Coding Guidelines, Section I.14, page 4, AMA ICD-10 2020 Expert book).

There are also several AAPC articles that explain the "With" causal relationships. I forget which issue, but look up the "Make the connection "With" Causal Relationship" article by Jodi Lawrence, pg. 24.

Hope this helps!

I'm having trouble understanding what can and can't be assigned I11. Would it be HTN and any heart disease or just the heard diseases that fall under I50.- or I51.4- I51.7, I51.89, I51.9? For example, HTN I10 and CAD I25.10 or HTN I10 and AS I35.0.

Guideline: Hypertension with heart conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4- I51.7, I51.89, I51.9, are assigned to a code from category I11, Hypertensive heart disease.