Wiki hypertension due to diabetes

Best answers
Hello- i'm trying without much luck to find any guidelines on how to code when a provider documents "hypertension due to diabetes" I know that DM and HTN do not have a causal relationship and there are no combination codes to link them together.

One resource (see below) I found says you would code the E11- DM dx with the I15.2 hypertension secondary to endocrine disorders as 2ndary- I have not been able to find any other supporting documentation for this coding suggestion.

curious if anyone else has any input?

https://www.aafp.org/fpm/2018/0500/p33.html

thanks!

Hypertension due to Diabetes

Great info! I also think we can use E11.69 and I15.2, if the documentation clearly states hypertension due to diabetes. Diabetes should be the first listed with addition I15.2

Thank you

Thara L

Hello- i'm trying without much luck to find any guidelines on how to code when a provider documents "hypertension due to diabetes" I know that DM and HTN do not have a causal relationship and there are no combination codes to link them together.

One resource (see below) I found says you would code the E11- DM dx with the I15.2 hypertension secondary to endocrine disorders as 2ndary- I have not been able to find any other supporting documentation for this coding suggestion.

curious if anyone else has any input?

https://www.aafp.org/fpm/2018/0500/p33.html

thanks!

We had a similar question that we sent to Coding Clinic. "Hypertension due to diabetes" would be coded as E11.59 and I15.2. Advice is below:

CC.JPG

We had a similar question that we sent to Coding Clinic. "Hypertension due to diabetes" would be coded as E11.59 and I15.2. Advice is below:

View attachment 3775
Hi Terri, did you receive an official response from Coding Clinic on the snippet that you shared with the appropriate code assignment for Hypertension due to Diabetes? We have searched on Coding Clinic and are unable to find a response noted on this question. Please advise

Thanks
Davetta