Wiki Hypertension with Heart Disease guidelines

Kathy615

Networker
Best answers
I need clarification on the Hypertension with Heart Disease combination code I11._. The way I read the Hypertension w Heart Disease ICD10, it relates only to Heart Disease as in codes I50._ or I51.4-I51.9. Is there a combo code for Hypertension with ASHD? I11._ Hypertension w Heart Disease does not appear to include ASHD. I am assuming then, that I would code I10 and I25.10 for example when reporting Hypertension and ASHD. Thanks

hey Kathy...curious question...Do people ever reply to your questions? I am curious because I have emailed dickson tn president and aapc and no one seems to give me an answer and direct me to someone else and I never get a reply. :( I am new and am in training and am puzzled by these books. lol I think I need a tutor....

Hi Kathy
On using the scenario above I'd use dx I11.9 HTN without Heart Ds. If the provider mentioned the current symptoms point to HTN and any type of heart disease also mentioned such as CHF, CAD, ASHD, etc. these can be justified as heart disease. However if the patient had stents put in or heart surgery such as CABG, or pacemaker or valves I d use the dx of I11.0 HTN heart disease with heart failure. Heart failure proof is the added devices in the heart. And if the patient has had stents or CABG or replaced with heart valves in their med history I'd use the proper Z dx. code too; check out block dx Z95.
  • I11Hypertensive heart disease
    • I11.0 Hypertensive heart disease with heart failure
    • I11.9 Hypertensive heart disease without heart failure
I hope this information helps you.
Lady T:cool:

Last edited: