Wiki Hypertensive Acute Renal Failure

Rachels

New
Best answers
I need a little help here. How would you code hypertensive acute renal failure? I know if you look at the 403 codes and acute renal failure is under the excludes tab.

I know hypertension and kidney disease assume a relationship but how about acute renal failure?

Thanks!

Reply to hypertensive acute renal failure

I logged on to the Kidney Foundation and it states that it should be coded as 403 tabular list (hypertensive kidney disease) then add additional code 585.1-585.6 (if known). Hope that helps. Its on www.kidney.org

Hi,

Category 403 does not include acute kidney failure, which is an entirely different condition from chronic kidney disease. Hence this should be coded as: 584.9 and 401.9

Hope this helps.

Okay! I have been told two different things. My manager told me I need to code 40390 w/5849, but then I don't understand why since 5849 is in the excludes tab under 403 code.

Thanks for your replies!

hypertension with acute renal failure is not a 403 code it is a 401.9 with the 584.9, the excludes note means that you cannot code the 403 with the 584.9. to state that the HTN is the causal condition for the acute renal failure is coded the same as any other underlying condition with a manifestation, that is code the underlying condition first (401.9) and code the manifestation second (584.9).

I aslo code both separately 401.9 and 584.9 since 403 category can be used only with chronic kidney disease.

Thara L CPC H

It's in the exclusion note because that is how ICD-9 classified these conditions when together.