Wiki hypertensive heart disease

masseytc

Best answers
If the provider documents two diagnoses, I10 (htn) and I50.9 (chf), I feel pretty confident that should use the following codes: I11.0 and I50.9. Your thoughts? Thank you for your help :) masseytc

You are correct. Here are the ICD-10CM guidelines that support it for provider education.

9. Chapter 9: Diseases of the Circulatory System (I00-I99)
a. Hypertension
The classification presumes a causal relationship between hypertension and heart involvement and between hypertension and kidney involvement, as the two conditions are linked by the term “with” in the Alphabetic Index. These conditions should be coded as related even in the absence of provider documentation explicitly linking them, unless the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated.
For hypertension and conditions not specifically linked by relational terms such as “with,” “associated with” or “due to” in the classification, provider documentation must link the conditions in order to code them as related.
1) Hypertension with Heart Disease
Hypertension with heart conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4-I51.9, are assigned to a code from category I11, Hypertensive heart disease. Use an additional code from category I50, Heart failure, to identify the type of heart failure in those patients with heart failure. The same heart conditions (I50.-, I51.4-I51.9) with hypertension are coded separately if the provider has specifically documented a different cause. Sequence according to the circumstances of the admission/encounter.

I10 and I11

Sorry for jumping in here...hoping for some guidance myself. I am coding for a hospice admission and the documentation lists both I10 and I11 for this patient. I know I have to add also the I50 series code for the type of heart failure, but can we truly code both Hypertension (I10) AND Hypertensive heart disease with heart failure (I11) for the same patient? Or is this another instance of a combination code that I should use instead? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Melanie,

You would not code the I10 you would use the hypertensive heart disease code I11 and the I50 code.