Wiki Hysteroscopy with IUD removal

JulieK

Networker
Best answers
I have a question as to how to code a hysteroscopic removal of IUD that is not embedded. It could not be grasped in the office after two attempts. US confirmed proper placement of the IUD. An in office hyseroscopic removal was done. Would it be proper for me to use the 58562 code although the IUD was not technically embedded.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Thank you.

We code it as 58301 and add a modifier -22 for the extra work (hysteroscope). We found this information on ACOG.

Why couldn't it be grasped? Was the string previously trimmed too short or was it an issue with the patient tolerating the procedure?

Here is what the record says: Strings not visible or palpated, IUD extractor tool inserted into cervical canal and IUD not palpated. U/S confirmed IUD in place. Discussed option of hysteroscopy to remove IUD and will proceed with hysteroscopic removal of IUD.

And then I have the procedure note where the IUD was removed with the hysterocopic procedure on a subsequent date.

So, the IUD in not imbedded but just could not be grasped and was removed by hysteroscopic procedure. How would this be coded? Any advice? Thanks.

To my understanding IUD insertion and device is covered under larc. For example, if a patient delivers 8/1/2022, and returns for post partum appointment 8/29/2022 in office setting (pos 11)- We can bill for iud device an iud insertion
Is that correct? Also, is there a document that clearly states that?