Wiki I am devastated I have been sending my CV for any vacancy of medical coding, I do get calls from recruiters but the moment they knew of my lack of med

Best answers
I am devastated I have been sending my CV for any vacancy of medical coding, I do get calls from recruiters but the moment they knew of my lack of medical coding experience, it disqualifies me from the job I am applying for, I never knew landing a job in medical coding can be this challenging, most of the hiring managers will prefer a candidate to be either a nursing graduate without license or a candidate with experience , I am trying to be as positive but with all these rejections I am starting to doubt the choice I made, I wonder if I should just revert back to my career in banking and forget my dream to work as a coder.( i passed my CPC on my first try and like every one else spent money, time and effort )

I am devastated I have been sending my CV for any vacancy of medical coding, I do get calls from recruiters but the moment they knew of my lack of medical coding experience, it disqualifies me from the job I am applying for, I never knew landing a job in medical coding can be this challenging, most of the hiring managers will prefer a candidate to be either a nursing graduate without license or a candidate with experience , I am trying to be as positive but with all these rejections I am starting to doubt the choice I made, I wonder if I should just revert back to my career in banking and forget my dream to work as a coder.( i passed my CPC on my first try and like every one else spent money, time and effort )
It took me almost 2 years to get into a job. I always had health care experience but not coding. I suggest you get into some sort of job in the medical field and start from there. Once i got my first coding job then the doors just opened up. Keep on trying!

I feel exactly the same. I worked so hard to pass the medical billing and coding classes and exams.
I thought the hard work and certification would guarantee me a job.
Now I feel like I wasted so much time and money.

Hello Everyone,
I suggest going to meet or write personal letter to the coding manager to see if he or she let you work free/volunteer to learn coding tips & gain more experience. Maybe like 2 days a week 3 or 2 hours might help and coding manager may agree but have to check with Human Resources. They may have some staff coding person let you watch them code for awhile 2 or 3 hours a day to earn experience. Also try and attend the AAPC coding chapter meeting in your area to network. Another tip maybe try get a clerk registration at the hospital s clinic or EMR area.....to get foot in the door. Also try to apply for work at insurance companies , lab companies, nursing home, local Medicaid office, rehab centers,billing claims company, medical supply company, therapist/psychiatrist office, private doctor's office or ambulance billing
I am sorry going thru this dilemma. Good luck! Do not give up....keep trying!
Lady T
PS Use LinkedIn or employer s web site to get names and email addresses of coding managers. Or Goggle supervisors and managers at healthcare facility near your home

Last edited:
I am running into the same issue. I have my CPC and CPB certifications and have had several positive interviews but employers want someone with 2+ years of experience. It is so frustrating! With the demand for medical coders I had no idea it would be so difficult:(

I believe the number one misconception about this particular field is the belief that you can go to school, graduate, take a certification exam, and right out the door, land a job. I wish it was that way but typically that's not how it happens. Usually someone either starts as a receptionist, patient accounts rep, collections, etc. and while in that position, works towards the coding career. The problem I see with trying to get your foot in the door after the fact is employers will instantly see you're just using the opportunity as a stepping stone and won't stay in the position you applied for. Training new employees is time consuming so they're not going to waste time and energy on a prospect that never intends to stay. The sad part about this is the organizations offering these education programs are not at all transparent about the reality of this field. They're happy to take your money first and let you find out on your own.

Obviously this is just an opinion but anyone I've ever worked with in this field didn't take a course or attend a school first, they were already working in the field years prior, starting from the bottom.

The sad part about this is the organizations offering these education programs are not at all transparent about the reality of this field. They're happy to take your money first and let you find out on your own.
^ This part right here.^ So many certification training programs are advertised as a way to not only land a job but also work from home. They seem to intentionally leave out the part that employers are more often only interested in experienced applicants. Yes the cert helps but it's severely devalued without experience.

Hi All, I didn't knew that it will be this much challenging to get medical coding job in abroad. But in India we have plenty of opportunities. But when I tried to apply for jobs in other countries, I didn't get proper response. So I dropped that idea. Am planning to start a training center and then try to get clients to start my own coding business. I have experience in multiple specialties. If anyone of you are interested or have any idea pls join hands with me, we can do something to growth in our career

I believe the number one misconception about this particular field is the belief that you can go to school, graduate, take a certification exam, and right out the door, land a job. I wish it was that way but typically that's not how it happens. Usually someone either starts as a receptionist, patient accounts rep, collections, etc. and while in that position, works towards the coding career. The problem I see with trying to get your foot in the door after the fact is employers will instantly see you're just using the opportunity as a stepping stone and won't stay in the position you applied for. Training new employees is time consuming so they're not going to waste time and energy on a prospect that never intends to stay. The sad part about this is the organizations offering these education programs are not at all transparent about the reality of this field. They're happy to take your money first and let you find out on your own.

Obviously this is just an opinion but anyone I've ever worked with in this field didn't take a course or attend a school first, they were already working in the field years prior, starting from the bottom.
Yeah you are right my friend. Am such an example. I didn't take up any course. I just saw interview, attended and got selected. Training was provided by the company itself. But it was at 2015. But in India still there are numerous opportunities for freshers

I am in the same boat with over 20 years of Pre-hospital and clinical Medic work, both civilian and military/contracting overseas. I even looked for "Entry-Level" postings, most say 0-1 year experience, and they would take both CPC-A or CPC. What a joke! The AAPC has no answers which indicates clearly they governing body only cares to pump out as many graduates of their programs, but caters to only those already in the field. They just want $$$$. I immediately took the Practicode "apprentice" course and that did not matter either. It just doesn't make sense that AAPC propaganda claims Medical Coding is growing at rates up to 36% per year (or whatever it is now) and they are so proud to have a worldwide standard now. They make you think you have a chance, but given the amount of student graduates printed on the back of the monthly reviews, I can only guess now that the majority are already Coders and are just looking for the CPC formality to bump up their pay.

December 2023 will mark over one (1) year applying to hundreds of jobs and all being rejected. I even have the 2023 manuals sitting right next to me still fully wrapped from shipment in their plastic, never opened once. I figure, why should I? I was excited to add another title to the back of my name, but, starting 20224, I am going to scrap my dreams of working as a Medical Coder and I will never support the AAPC with my money or presence again. I will also never recommend anyone to ever get any credential from AAPC or AHIMA unless they are already working in the job title they wish to advance in. Why? Because, it seems only the AAPC and AHIMA are the governing bodies for these certificates and education in this field, but lack the resources to help their graduates land even the simplest entry-level jobs. Promoting more courses is not experience, and I did not take the CPC courses to become a Medical Biller....lol.

Good luck to everyone else, but come January I will wash myself of becoming a Coder, recycle my books, and write off the costs as a loss.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Medical Coding just might be replaced by AI someday in the near future simply because it is pretty straight forward and follows simple, algorithmic logic. If-Then statements if you will, then the code(s) to match. So , if there will be any growing need as AAPC loves to put it, it will be replaced by AI programs at the insurance levels.