I&D and E/M

kwitts81

Contributor
Best answers
Hi so i am wondering general census, i had an encounter where there was an I&D needed i didnt see that anything else was evaluated but this. The MD billed a E/M as well a 99213, well i was thinking the E/M should be removed i double checked with a supervisor but they said to keep E/M cause the MD prescribed a antibiotic. I would think that would be a normal part of a procedure that involved a abscess of sorts, and not above and beyond. But what are your thoughts. I just wasnt feeling secure in that decision.

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
When I am unsure about whether or not an E/M justifies it's own billing (either with a procedure, or potential global surgery), I cross out everything related to the procedure or postop. Is what is leftover enough to justify an E/M? Prescribing a medication after the procedure does not necessarily justify an E/M.
It sounds like in your case, the answer might be no, but there are situations where the answer could be yes.
I like the Novitas info on modifier -25 https://www.novitas-solutions.com/webcenter/portal/MedicareJH/pagebyid?contentId=00153948

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
Great advice Christine! Something else to keep in mind is that every surgical procedure, yes even a lowly I&D has a "built in" E/M component to it. Was the decision to perform this procedure made during this visit? If yes, it could be supported. If the decision was already made...

kimberlywatson

Networker
Best answers
When I am unsure about whether or not an E/M justifies it's own billing (either with a procedure, or potential global surgery), I cross out everything related to the procedure or postop. Is what is leftover enough to justify an E/M? Prescribing a medication after the procedure does not necessarily justify an E/M.
It sounds like in your case, the answer might be no, but there are situations where the answer could be yes.
I like the Novitas info on modifier -25 https://www.novitas-solutions.com/webcenter/portal/MedicareJH/pagebyid?contentId=00153948
I like this approach, but I'd be careful to immediately cross out everything related to the procedure or postop. As the Novitas link says, sometimes an E/M is warranted if the treatment goes above and beyond what would normally be done during the pre/postop period - - meaning it may still be related. I only say this because I've made this mistake in the past! But again, I overall agree with your approach and it's helpful.