Wiki I&D w/ E/M?

nscoder

Networker
Best answers
So I have a provider who performed a full E/M on a lesion, concluded it was an abscess and performed an I&D and gave an antibiotic perscription.
My question is would this be an E/M-25 w/ 10060 OR because the E/M was directed towards the abscess would this just be a 10060?
Its the wording "significant, separately identifiable" :eek: is where Im getting hung up. I would really appreciate any input.

So I have a provider who performed a full E/M on a lesion, concluded it was an abscess and performed an I&D and gave an antibiotic perscription.
My question is would this be an E/M-25 w/ 10060 OR because the E/M was directed towards the abscess would this just be a 10060?
Its the wording "significant, separately identifiable" :eek: is where Im getting hung up. I would really appreciate any input.

If the patient did not specifically come in for an I&D and the physician did an examination and then decided to do an I&D, then you can code the E&M with a modifier 25 with the 10060 or 10061, whichever is the right one.