Wiki I & d

trugriff

Contributor
Best answers
Hi! Need some help please. We have a patient who presents to our office for a dressing change. The is a result of an abscess that was treated at an ER days prior. The ER performed an I & D but told the patient to followup with their PCP for continued monitoring and dressing changes . I'm leaning toward billing E/M's for the followup visits since the Incision was already performed and there's no wound debridement involved, only dressing changes. I'm doubting myself since this doesn't happen very often. Any suggestions/recommendations/reassurance? Thanks very much!!

Hi! Need some help please. We have a patient who presents to our office for a dressing change. The is a result of an abscess that was treated at an ER days prior. The ER performed an I & D but told the patient to followup with their PCP for continued monitoring and dressing changes . I'm leaning toward billing E/M's for the followup visits since the Incision was already performed and there's no wound debridement involved, only dressing changes. I'm doubting myself since this doesn't happen very often. Any suggestions/recommendations/reassurance? Thanks very much!!

It is my understanding that physicians who provide follow-up care after a minor procedure performed in the ER would bill the appropriate level of E/M care, no mods.