Wiki i have some question about HCC coder

HCC coder

Hi I am also new to HCC coding and the best way to pick up speed is creating a cheat sheet with the most popular HCC. Also when reviewing the medical record go to the key areas pick up the chronic that you can that do not need supporting documation such as DM HCC 18, 19 etc. Also know what medical records can be used to pick up HCC. Also ask if you can other coworker if they have any best ways to meet goals.

Nancy

Response

Hi, I had a hard time with meeting production goals in the beginning but the key is to memorize the client guidelines for the project you're assigned (study them over and over if you have to) and also memorize the common HCC diagnosis codes so you do not have to look them up (ie: HTN, HTN combo codes, DM, DM combo codes, CHF, GERD, CKD, etc). The more charts you do, the quicker you will get at it. I always start from bottom up when coding a chart if the Assessment/Plan is at the end - those are usually the confirmed diagnosis and then go through the rest of the chart to look for other HCCs with tamper. Hope that helps.