Wiki I need help reviewing a hospital bill please.

Strumble

Contributor
Best answers
Can a hospital and provider (not employed by hospital) both code 99285 and bill separately (care does qualify for this code)? I also have questions about separate pharmacy, IV, PACU medications (billed by the hospital) that in my opinion should be included in the OR/Surgical codes. I've attached the bill, if anyone has time to review and advise, I would really appreciate the help. This is a self pay patient. I am a new CPC. Thanks!

Attachments

• Hospital itemized charges.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Can a hospital and provider (not employed by hospital) both code 99285 and bill separately (care does qualify for this code)? I also have questions about separate pharmacy, IV, PACU medications (billed by the hospital) that in my opinion should be included in the OR/Surgical codes. I've attached the bill, if anyone has time to review and advise, I would really appreciate the help. This is a self pay patient. I am a new CPC. Thanks!

Yes, both the facility and the provider would charge for an ER visit. The provider's fee is for the provider's time and expertise. The facility's fee is for the expenses associated with use of the ER (nursing staff, overhead for the room itself, etc.).

Hospital claims do separately list the charges for pharmacy, IV, supplies, PACU, and any other services received. An insurer contract may reimburse a DRG or case rate, but the hospital still has to include all charges on the claim.

This specific itemized statement is for an inpatient stay. You can see that by the Revenue Code 121 charge for one night's room. From a quick review of the itemized statement, I'd guess that the patient originated in the ER, had surgery, and was admitted overnight.

There's nothing about the itemized statement that jumps out to me as unusual on a quick review.

If I were going to dig into the charges further, I would compare the itemized statement to the hospital chart records. Determine whether all of the pharmacy, supply, and lab charges are documented in the chart. If any particular item wasn't documented in the chart, I'd ask for it to be removed from the bill.

If I were trying to help someone reduce their self-pay bill, I'd find out what the DRG would have been for this inpatient claim. I'd then find out what the hospital would be reimbursed by Medicare and Medicaid for that DRG. (Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement is published on the websites, so that's why those are most often used as an approximation.)

Then I'd try to negotiate the patient's liability on the claims to be somewhere in the ballpark of what Medicare/Medicaid would pay for the same services. That's not an unusual tactic - when I worked for a large hospital system, I'd often be asked to research what the Medicare or Medicaid would reimburse for a service, so that the hospital finance people could negotiate with a self-pay patient and/or the patient's attorney.

I see that a self pay discount of $8,165.75 was taken on the service. Was that the automatic self-pay discount, or did the patient complete financial assistance forms? If the patient has not completed financial assistance forms with the hospital, I'd recommend they do that. They may qualify for a bigger discount.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Thank you so much for all this information! You are correct about the presentation to the ER, then surgery and overnight.The patient's discount was an automatic self pay discount. The patient would not qualify for financial assistance.

Who would I contact for questioning the DRG?

I appreciate your help so very much!

Thank you so much for all this information! You are correct about the presentation to the ER, then surgery and overnight.The patient's discount was an automatic self pay discount. The patient would not qualify for financial assistance.

Who would I contact for questioning the DRG?

I appreciate your help so very much!

You're welcome.

The hospital may have a DRG documented already. Even though a claim wasn't billed to insurance, inpatient claims may automatically go through the hospital's DRG grouper logic. It couldn't hurt to ask if they already have it available even though this is self-pay.

Otherwise, you could calculate the DRG on your own. You'd need the surgical procedure(s) performed and the patient's diagnoses.

Since the admit and discharge date were after 10/1/22, you'd want to use the FY 2023 information: https://www.cms.gov/icd10m/FY2023-version40-fullcode-cms/fullcode_cms/P0001.html

Ok I've looked up the cpt 31237 and 31256, using h53.9 I come up with drg 136. I'm unsure if I classified the procedure correctly because anstronomy was not listed and I don't know what CC/MCC mean. I also couldn't find on the CMS wesite the reimbursement for that DRG. What am I missing?
Again thank you for your time and information!

Ok I've looked up the cpt 31237 and 31256, using h53.9 I come up with drg 136. I'm unsure if I classified the procedure correctly because anstronomy was not listed and I don't know what CC/MCC mean. I also couldn't find on the CMS wesite the reimbursement for that DRG. What am I missing?
Again thank you for your time and information!
CCs and MCCs are cormorbid conditions, which can change the DRG. You would need to review all of the diagnosis codes on the claim to determine the final DRG - you can't get it just from procedures. Then once you have the DRG, to get the payment rates you'll need to find the hospital's assigned base rate for that date of service and payer and multiply it by the weight of the DRG for your claim. So you won't be able to determine this just from an itemized bill, but you may be able to get a ballpark number by reviewing some different DRGs.

Susan's recommendation is a good one, but DRGs can be difficult to calculate manually and any rate you get is really just going to be a guide for negotiation. If you're goal here is to reduce the bill, your best negotiating tool is going to be an offer to make payment in full. If you're offering to make payments over time, the hospital will have little incentive to reduce their charge, but if you can tell the hospital you're willing to resolve the whole bill right away and promptly, they're often more motivated to work with you on it.

CCs and MCCs are cormorbid conditions, which can change the DRG. You would need to review all of the diagnosis codes on the claim to determine the final DRG - you can't get it just from procedures. Then once you have the DRG, to get the payment rates you'll need to find the hospital's assigned base rate for that date of service and payer and multiply it by the weight of the DRG for your claim. So you won't be able to determine this just from an itemized bill, but you may be able to get a ballpark number by reviewing some different DRGs.

Susan's recommendation is a good one, but DRGs can be difficult to calculate manually and any rate you get is really just going to be a guide for negotiation. If you're goal here is to reduce the bill, your best negotiating tool is going to be an offer to make payment in full. If you're offering to make payments over time, the hospital will have little incentive to reduce their charge, but if you can tell the hospital you're willing to resolve the whole bill right away and promptly, they're often more motivated to work with you on it.
Thank you so much for the information!

I'm still trying to code this operative report myself before requesting a review by surgeon's coder. The procedures I have concluded are 31231-50 and 32167 LT,59. H05.20 and J01.01 Reminder, I am a new coder. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• operative report.pdf
    196.4 KB · Views: 1