Wiki Icd-10 cm coding injuries

Best answers
Hi Team,

1) In icd-10 cm when we should use other specified injury and unspecified injury codes? For example S49.9 and S49.8 icd-10 cm code series. Please explain with some examples

2) Can you explain the use of the laceration and open wound in icd-10 cm coding with examples.

Thanking you,
Dilipkumaran Siva COC, CPC

I am puzzled by your query. You would never use the code for unspecified injury and I cannot imagine using other specified either.
As far as examples of lacerations and open wounds? Well this come from the documentation of the type of injury.

I think you are referring to replacements for the 959.01 - 959.9 series, right? There has been quite a bit of discussion on this among my peers as well. The icd10data.com site does help link to the correct code for most of these; however, there isn't a good direct link for injury of the thoracic spine. I'm still searching for an answer for that one!

For example, you have a cervical spine x-ray with only history given is injury. You would typically code this 959.09. This now maps to 2 different ICD-10 codes: S19.9XXA (initial encounter) for neck, and S09.93XA for face. They were both included in the 959.09 code.

Hope that helps!
Amy Meyers, CPC