Wiki Icd-10 code for copd with chronic bronchitis

Best answers
I am having an issue with this code. I chose J44.9. My employer said it should be J42

Here is what I said: If you look under the excludes of J42 it says excludes chronic obstructive pulmonary disease NOS (J44.9). If you go to the ICD-10 index for bronchitis, chronic, it goes to “with airway obstructions” (isn’t this COPD)? Shouldn’t the code be J44.9?

This is the response I got back: When you use 3M and enter in COPD w/ chronic bronchitis, it maps to J42.

The response is true unless you pick with airway obstruction, then you would get J44.9. Does the documentation have to specifically say with airway obstruction? I thought this is what COPD meant? I couldn't find any coding clinic guidance about this issue for I-10.

Can anyone help? Thoughts? Rationale?

thanks!

I am having an issue with this code. I chose J44.9. My employer said it should be J42

Here is what I said: If you look under the excludes of J42 it says excludes chronic obstructive pulmonary disease NOS (J44.9). If you go to the ICD-10 index for bronchitis, chronic, it goes to “with airway obstructions” (isn’t this COPD)? Shouldn’t the code be J44.9?

This is the response I got back: When you use 3M and enter in COPD w/ chronic bronchitis, it maps to J42.

The response is true unless you pick with airway obstruction, then you would get J44.9. Does the documentation have to specifically say with airway obstruction? I thought this is what COPD meant? I couldn't find any coding clinic guidance about this issue for I-10.

Can anyone help? Thoughts? Rationale?

thanks!

When I plug in COPD w chronic bronchitis, to 3M, it takes me to J440 - "Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute lower respiratory infection"

Good luck

This is what I got in the index:

Disease - lung - obstructive (chronic) - with bronchitis - J44.9

Disease - lung - obstructive (chronic) - with acute bronchitis - J44.0

Depends on whether it is specified as "obstructive"

Chronic bronchitis not specified as "obstructive" should be coded to J41.0-J42.

Chronic bronchitis that is specified as obstructive is coded to category J44.-.

Chronic indicates cough with mucous most days of the month for at least 3 months out of the year.