Wiki ICD 10 Coding for insulin use in Type 2 DM

Best answers
I was taught in ICD-9 that you do not code for insulin use in Type 1 diabetics as it was assumed it was necessary for life, but do code in Type 2's that use insulin, as not all of them use insulin. In the ICD-10 book, it says under E80 Diabetes Mellitus to use additional code to identify any insulin use. Does this mean that any diabetic on insulin, regardless of Type 1 or 2, now needs insulin use coded?

Tamara Tripp Dietzel ANP/GNP-C, CPC

You still only code insulin use for Type 2 diabetics, as long as it's documented in the history.
You don't have to code for it for Type 1.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC-A

I was taught in ICD-9 that you do not code for insulin use in Type 1 diabetics as it was assumed it was necessary for life, but do code in Type 2's that use insulin, as not all of them use insulin. In the ICD-10 book, it says under E80 Diabetes Mellitus to use additional code to identify any insulin use. Does this mean that any diabetic on insulin, regardless of Type 1 or 2, now needs insulin use coded?

Tamara Tripp Dietzel ANP/GNP-C, CPC

E80 is not a category for diabetes
The diabetes categories are
E08 Diabetes mellitus due to underlying condition
E09 Drug or chemical induced diabetes mellitus
E10 Type 1 diabetes mellitus
E11 Type 2 diabetes mellitus
E13 Other specified diabetes mellitus
Only the E08, E09, E11, and E13 instruct to add the Z79.4 for insulin use. The E10 category does not contain this instruction.

Thank you for the clarification. I typed incorrectly and yes, it is E08-E13 categories I was referring. These responses are exactly what I needed. Thanks again for the responses.

Thank you for the responses

Thank you for the clarification. I typed incorrectly and yes, it is E08-E13 categories I was referring. These responses are exactly what I needed. Thanks again for the responses.