Wiki ICD-10 Coding in the Global period

d_imparato

Networker
Best answers
I have a question about ophthalmology ICD-10 coding. When the patient has the YAG laser procedure for cataract removal; he/she then sees the ophthalmologist in the office for the post op visit. The physician is asking for the ICD-10 post-op code, during the global period. This is a straight forward post-op visit without any complications. I am not able to locate any ICD-10 codes, except the Z98.4 category for cataract extract status. The Dx would be H26.499.

I would appreciate any insight on finding the correct post-op code to charge during the global for when the patient is seen without any complications. I would also appreciate it very much if you could point me to the website or any literature to back up the answer so I can have it for educational purposes for my providers.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Donna, CPC, AAS

Not quite sure I understand your question but I'll try.

First of all, since the post op visit would be done in the global period, you wouldn't bill for another visit as long as its within the 45 day global period for 66830.

The ICD-10 code you would use is: H26.49# where # is 1,2 or 3 depending on laterality.

At a presentation I saw given by Corcoran Consulting, they also suggested using the cataract extraction status code Z98.4# (#-1,2 or 3) as well as the Presence of IOL code Z96.1.

However, the last two codes are not referenced in the ICD-10 code book as codes also so they aren't necessary at this time. When asked why they were suggesting the 3 codes, Corcoran's representative said that they felt that CMS would eventually require it to be done this way so that's why they were teaching it.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC-A

Thank you Tom for your reply. What you are suggesting is my thinking as well. I have also been told to use the Z48 category since there is not any complications to speak of. My doctor is looking for post op YAG or any other eye surgery including but not limited to eye or eyelid.
Again, thank you for your help.
Donna

You will not code for the cataract as that condition no longer exists. This is why you have codes for post op. You use the code for post op from category Z48 with the Z codes for the extraction status. You never code a condition that does not exists at that encounter.