Wiki ICD-10 Dx for Elevated Troponin

dsteenken

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I'm trying to determine what the ICD-10 Dx code is for Elevated Troponin? I know people went back & forth on the correct Dx code in ICD-9, and I have no clue what direction to take in ICD-10.

Thank you,
D.S. :)

We use 790.99 for that in ICD, on AAPC's website they have a coding conversion so when I put that in in coverts it to R78.89 or R78.9

Hope that helps

You should not use R78.89 or R78.9 as that is substances not normally found in the blood. Troponin is a protein in your blood that helps with muscle contraction. I would use R79.89, Other specified abnormal findings of blood chemistry.

Would use R77.8

We use R74.8

"Troponin is a complex of three regulatory proteins (troponin C, troponin I, and troponin T) that is integral.."

"Certain subtypes of troponin (cardiac I and T) are very sensitive and specific indicators of damage to the heart muscle (myocardium). They are measured in the blood to differentiate between unstable angina and myocardial infarction (heart attack) in people with chest pain.."

Troponin is a plasma protein.

Per the American College of Cardiology Journal, "Cardiac troponin T (cTnT) is a plasma protein routinely used for the diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction (AMI).."

http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1709469

R77.8 is correct

+1 for JVilla's Rationale

Troponin is a complex of three proteins;
  • it's not an enzyme so it doesn't fall under R74.8;
  • a more-specific code exists so it doesn't fall under R79.89
R77.8 is the correct choice