Wiki ICD-10 for Snapping Shoulder

gmlittle

Networker
Best answers
Having a debate over the correct code for Snapping Shoulder.

Some say R29.898
other say M89.8X1

Which is the correct one?

Thanks,

Well, I would vote for either M89.8x1 or the one from the M24 category if "derangement" is acceptable specifiying along with the laterality. It's funny----if you go to the "index" for "snapping", you'll find directions to the M series for Derangement of other anatomic areas, but nothing about the shoulder. I also understand why some have chosen the R code based on signs and symptoms. Do you have the chart notes? Maybe further followup is needed with the doctor?

Interesting thread!

I don't know if the "snapping" sound is necessarily tied to a syndrome unless the doctor specifies it. I'd rather use an internal derangement code like the one for a "snapping" knee. Unfortunately, like Ollie mentioned, they omitted the shoulder derangements or neglected them as an anatomical site when this thread was originally started.

Peace
@_*
There is the option of M24.81_ which was available since Oct 2017. Happy Holidays!

Snapping Scapula

"Snapping Scapula" is in reality a physical finding on examination, which may or may not be painful. It is a phenomenon that occurs when the shoulder blade slides over the ribs when the shoulder is "shrugged" up and/or let back down to its resting/relaxed position. It can be a diagnosis whether it is painful or not. If the patient's pain is reproduced by the "Snap" during the examination, then it would certainly be a diagnosis and would be coded. If the patient's pain is not caused by or associated with the "Snap," even if present on the examination, then some other diagnosis for the pain has to be identified and coded, and the "Snapping Scapula" is a physical finding that could be coded as an optional or supplemental diagnosis. For painful "Snapping Scapula" of significant degree or duration, surgery may be warranted with removal of the upper medial "corner" of the Scapula.
In ICD-10 there is no specific code for this, but the best I could find is M89.8X1. In ICD-10 it is also found under "Grating Scapula" with the same code, and also "Scapulalgia" with the same code, and this would be more correct if there is pain as "algia" is for "pain." But I doubt that any Orthopedic Surgeon is going to use either of these terms. An alternative to M89.8X1 is M75.8 _: "Other" Shoulder Lesions, but this isn't as specific as M89.8X1.
It is definitely not a Neurological disorder, so the G Code as discussed in previous responses would not be correct.
Although I am not trying to add to the confusion, there is a painful disorder of the shoulder called Subscapular or Scapulothoracic Bursitis due do inflammation of the "bursa," i.e. the tissues between the scapula and the muscles and ribs deep to it on the posterior thoracic wall. It is going to be painful when the shoulder blade moves over the ribs & muscles, but it may or may not necessarily be associated with any crepitus (rubbing) of the shoulder blade as it moves, but not so much of a "Snap." The best code I could find for this is M75.51 _: "Bursitis" of the Shoulder Region.

I hope this helps more than confuses everybody.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com