Wiki ICD-10 OB complication carrying over to different trimester

CMPM12

Best answers
If an OB patient develops a complication in week 25, 2nd trimester ex: cervical shortening, do we code the 2nd trimester through the entire pregnancy because this is when she developed it (as long as the complication is still there)?

EX:
Patient is in 3rd trimester developed Cervical shortening in 2nd trimester , now week 32.

EX:
O26.872
Z3A.32

or do we code the trimester she is in when seen

O26.873
Z3A.32

I am confused b/c I have learned in some training modules you only need to do this if the patient is admitted to the hospital and it carries over into the next trimester when they are discharged. Other trainings state anytime there is a complication that carries over to the next trimester in the prenatal chart the trimester it started in is ONLY coded through the entire pregnancy and you add the week she is currently in. Any clarification on this would be great!

If you are coding a complication for a condition wherein the patient is IN the hospital, then you code the trimester/weeks gestation that the patient was when the encounter began. If you look in your ICD 10 book in the guidelines section, go to Chapter 15 "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (o00-o09A), section: a "General Rules for Obstetric Cases", subsection 4. "Selection of trimester for inpatient admissions that encompass more than one trimester" You can see the guidelines spell it out really clearly. In my AAPC book it's page 60. Depending on your publisher it could be a slightly different page, but it will be somewhere in that general area.

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing to the rule in the book. Very helpful. I have one in this case whose diagnosis started in 2nd trimester which I kept at the 2nd trimester even though she is now in 3rd. However I also did not change her wga which began at 25 weeks but now she is 30. So my trimester will remain 2 but her does her wga need to be up to date? Thank you